Saturday, February 16, 2013

Prom.

She stands there, wearing that simple white gown. No glitters, ruffles, laces, or ribbons around it. She only had natural-colored foundation and clear lip gloss on. Her hair is not as overdone as the other female guests in the same room. She doesn't need to wear high heels since she was gifted with height, thanks to her dad. Now if she can only find her partner...

She looks around. The room is filled already. The program has not yet started but everyone's taking pictures by the sides. Some has even brought professional photographers. She starts to feel scared. She never liked crowds. She's used to being alone... the awkward girl.

The school photographer comes up to her and takes her picture. She gets surprised with the flash of the camera. I didn't even get the chance to smile, she says in her head. Then he leaves her alone.

You shouldn't have gone to this event. You can still run from humiliation, you know? Go. Run! A part of her is saying.

She hears the sound of static and the sound of microphone being tapped.
--
The program has ended and she's just sitting at an empty table. Almost everyone is on the floor, dancing to the beat of a pop song. Even her teachers look like they're having fun. The principal is at the buffet table, refilling her plate for the third time. She moves along the music, but not so much that she might catch the attention of other people.

Not that it bothers her. She knows she was being talked about. The popular girls are asking why she is even there. The dorks has asked her for a dance and she kindly declined them all. She's waiting for someone. But that someone is dancing with another girl.
--
He sees her entering the room. Just by seeing her, he knows this night will be the best. But he is scared of what people might say if they see the two of them together. Being a popular guy in school is not easy. Nobody knows how much he likes her. Nobody knows how often he stays in the library just to take glances with her. Nobody knows about their exchange of kisses, their secret notes, their relationship.

And that's what bothers him. He wants to make it official. He knows she's hurting since he keeps their relationship. He plans to tell everyone now. Here. But he can't find the courage to come up to her.
--
Everyone's busy dancing already. He needs to do it now. He can see her getting uneasy already, sitting alone and drinking on her glass nervously. But he needs some manning up first. He approaches his girl best friend, his cousin from the mother side, and takes her from her dancing partner.

He tells her, "I have to tell you something... about a girl."

She looks interested and sips from her glass of lemon punch. "Alright, shoot."

"I asked a girl to go with me tonight. But I can't even dance with her. I need some advice."

His cousin's eyes gets wide. "What? How can you make a girl suffer like that? Go! Take her hand and dance with her! Tell me, where is she? Who is she? I'll help you, loser."

He pointed at her. "There, at that table. The one in the white gown."

His cousin smiled and pulled him to get to the table. She says, "Wow. You are so gorgeous tonight! How come we never became friends before? And I apologize for my cousin. He's kind of a chicken. So, I'll leave you two, then?"

He felt his cheeks getting warm.

She stands up, facing him. He can see how amazing she looks. He can feel his heart jumping excitedly.

He smiles at her.

She smiles back.
--
Midnight, and they haven't gone home yet. They chose to stay at a park near the beach. The moon shines brightly over them. He handed her his coat so she won't feel cold from the sea breeze.

"Thank you," she says as she holds his hand, examining it and kissing it gently from time to time.

"No. Thank you," he kisses her cheek, "thank you for making my high school life a great one. I know it's been hard for you for not being a couple in school but now, everyone knows about us and I stopped feeling guilty already. I promise you, we'll make the best out of our remaining months in school. I love you."

"It's fine. I'm honestly alright with our set-up. At least, we don't have to put up with people asking why we're even together. I know you won't cheat on me. I trust you with all my heart. But now, I know that you really love me. You know I love you, too, right?"

He answered her with a kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment